Friday 28 December 2012

Day One


Okay, so I'm not sure how to "wake up Asian" therefore my morning routine was relatively similar to what it always is. It wasn't the start I was hoping for but I'm not quite sure what I expected. I'm sure Asian people wake up, crawl out of bed half asleep, shower etc etc.
We can all agree - fairly average morning.
However I decided I was not going to laze around. I started on my room. I put a shelf and some blinds up and gave most of the floor a good de clutter. I've also added a small (close to the floor type) table. Again another stereotypical, ignorant view of Asian culture. Still, it's a nice table.
I thought of having breakfast, but what do Asian people eat for breakfast? I asked a Chinese friend of mine that question a few years back. As he was a Chinese native I expected a better answer than "I don't know". Yet still, to this day, I don't know.
Evidently I didn't eat breakfast.

With the room looking slightly better I moved on to phase 2. Food.
I took a trip to an Asian supermarket/wholesalers with the intent of buying lots of good ingredients that I can cook good Chapanese cuisine with.
When I got there however, I realised I had no idea what to look for. It was an eventful shopping trip but on the whole generally more fun than that of average British stores.
I won't list everything I bought as it seems silly but it's a good selection of chapanese stuff and I would definitely advise everyone to find a local Asian supermarket/wholesalers and take a look around. For me personally it's all new, for others it might not be, either way I can guarantee it will be a weird and wonderful experience.

It's late evening by now, so it's time to start on my first chapanese dish. Bare in mind I don't even cook British food, the extent of my cooking is microwave pizza. So yes I was a little nervous.
I had been given a recipe book over Christmas which has a few, what they call, easy to make recipes (they're not easy to make at all). I decided on one called Shrimp Foo Yung - mainly because I had all them ingredients. It's pretty much egg and shrimp with a few extras and spices. I can imagine it would taste really nice when cooked by someone more experienced. Mine tasted sub par but to be honest I'm pleased with that.

Later on in the night I took 10 minutes out of my day to do a guided meditation. Essentially I sat down, focused on my breathing and tried to just be still. I felt nothing from it, but I feel like its worth it. Why shouldn't we all sit down and just give our minds time to think for a few minutes a day?

Yes that was a nice long blog today, but if you've read it I thank you and i hope you can end your night like I ended mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment